IIG Annual Dinner 2017
Thursday 16 November 2017 witnessed the 76th IIG Annual Dinner, the largest insurance networking event in Africa where 1,660 delegates enjoyed the gala held at Sandton Convention Centre.
This event ends the busy IIG calendar and celebrates the success of all stakeholders that made the year the success it was. In true #Insurancemovement style, various industry bodies and representatives were in attendance, including IISA President Daryl De Vos, SA Treasury Director Dr. Reshma Sheoraj, IISA CEO Thokozile Mahlangu, FIA CEO Lizelle van der Merwe, and the SAIA CEO Vivienne Pearson. Past IIG presidents including Tracy McLaughlin, Zuriel Naiker (who was Master of Ceremonies), Justin Naylor, Michael Dash, Kim Gallus, Winston Skosana, Sedick Isaacs, David Harpur, Carryn Ford, Brian Seach, Roy Kirby & Mike Pierce were also in attendance. #YourIIG also welcomed the IIWC President Lindsay Evard, IIKZN President Vanitha Kalicharan, IING President Anton Coertzen, IIER President Gavin Walsh, GWII Chair Nicky Eveleigh and IYG Chair Tashniva Angadh.
The event included a heartfelt thank you speech from IIG President Gerald van Wyk, thanking the audience for their support and commitment over the past calendar year where in spite of challenging economic times, event participation was at an all time high. Some of these figures are included below:
• #YourIIG reached over 2,700 members each month
• There were 25 events in 2017, attended by over 4,000 insurance professionals
• There are now over 4,000 followers on Facebook and over 2,100 followers on Twitter.
• #YourIIG has welcome nearly 8,000 visitors to the website over the past calendar year
• IIG International content was consumed over 17,000 times on LinkedIn
• There were 8 Insights & thought leadership forums from an Industry Outlook to Cyber, Contracts & Wordings, Entrepreneurship & Insurtech, reinsurance & technical accounting, besides the IISA collaborations with 25 industry CEOs
• The May motivational breakfast created inspiration and energy from 2 South African success stories: an Olympian multi-gold medalist, and the story from being homeless and living on the street, to CEO.
• 35 insurance professionals made global connections through the IIG International where the delegates visited 16 top financial services and legal firms in Singapore & Hong Kong
• #YourIIG celebrated Women’s day with over 200 insurance professionals
• There was a wonderful Youth day celebration with a mini soccer tournament where Genasys youth development team won first prize
• Not forgetting golf: 3 sold out golf events throughout the year
President Gerald also shared how 2017 witnessed a continuation of dedicated focus on enablement through education. #YourIIG was proud to announce that 25 students graduated from the ILDP programme (in association with GIBS Business School) and a further 24 delegates are graduating from Class of 2017; there were also a further 15 mentees and mentors on the Roots & Wings Mentorship programme. Also incredible to share was that #YourIIG was able to deliver 2,999 accumulated CPD hours to the Gauteng insurance industry in 2017!
Charity also didn't lose any traction and 2017 witnessed R1m raised, mostly due to the crazy Spinathon which saw over 600k raised! These funds are being put to their appropriate use immediately and the 2018 Insurance Bursary Programme has already been advertised. Masifunde Training College were confirmed to be on board as a sponsor and partner of the IIG as the bursary programme progresses.
Nina Joubert, #YourIIG’s newly promoted General Manager was also specifically noted and thanked for all the hard work and effort that goes into the success of the institute
Through the dinner, various awards and prizes were won. Class of 2017 graduates were honoured and these included Ablonia Ramela, Diane Tshiunza, Dudzai Chikumbu, Gobusamang Motau, Iola Edmayr, Jessica Edwards, Kelebogile Mokoka, Keoagile Moatlhodi, Kevin Blackmore, Liebie du Plessis, Malebo Thebe, Mlungisi Mchunu, Muhammed Doola, Natasha Mthiya, Nicole Matheson, Phindile Madonsela, Roland Herman, Samantha Visagie, Sikhumbuzo Kubeka, Sphamandla Memela, Tebogo Raphatlhelo, Tiyane Hlubi, Viresh Archery, and Warren Dickerson. Top student awards saw Gobusamang Motau in 3rd place, Muhammed Doola taking the Fulcrum Future Leader award in 2nd place, and Liebie du Plessis winning the Swiss Re Top Performer award!
The Gauteng top students from the IISA career track were also recognized for their outstanding academic achievement and Licentiate Category was awarded to Gregory Young, the Associate Category to Christina Erasmus, and the Fellow Category to Dudzai Chikumbu.
Industry long service awards which included honourary life membership to the IIG were awarded to those who had dedicated 40 years of service to the insurance industry. These included Baravand Madhav from Munich Re, Christine Davis from Chubb, Eric Dom from AIG, Mike do Vale from Hollard, Pebetsi Mothemela from Kapara Insurance Brokers and Sipho Gegana from Marsh.
Tracy McLaughlin (IIG President in 2016) was awarded the Meritorious Award, and David Harpur (the former IIG President and IISA CEO) along with his wife were recognized on stage for their 49 years of dedication to the insurance industry; they graciously accepted their token of appreciation courtesy of media sponsor RiskAfrica Magazine: a holiday for 2 to the Drakensberg!
Lucky draws and prizes included:
• One Loyalty: an insurer branded, function-rich, self-service app valued at over R60,000, with winner being Thando Sadiki from Marara Risk Solutions
• EuropAssistance: an all-expenses paid holiday for two to Paris, including all the luxury trimmings valued at over R65.000, which was won by Stephanie Henning from PSG Insure
• IIG International 2018, powered by Camargue and in association with RiskAfrica, with the lucky winner of the Swiss Re sponsored ticket valued at over R70,000 being Riaz Mia from Bryte! He will attend the IIG International 2018 tour to Zurich and Amsterdam.
The Annual Dinner 2017 was a truly spectacular event and the perfect culmination of a successful year which showcased that #YourIIG is indeed an institute that is for us, by us – the insurance industry collectively.
#YourIIG would like to again thank the main sponsors Africa Re, Discovery Insure, Old Mutual Insure, Sasria SOC, Marsh, and Masifunde Training College, as well as the co-sponsors Blue Spec, Camargue Underwriting Managers, Cardinal, Chubb, Constantia, EuropAssistance, Genasys, Global Choices, Guy Carpenter, Hollard, Innovation Group, Insure Group, Munich Re, O'Keeffe & Swartz, One Loyalty, Santam, Swiss Re and Western National. A thank you also to contributors TransUnion and #YourIIG’s media partners, FA News, Cover and RiskAfrica.